Pages

Wednesday 29 September 2010

Fatherland - Robert Harris

I mentioned in my post here that I was reading Fatherland by Robert Harris. I first picked it up as part of a one-off rummage through the shelves of Waterstones/Ottakars/Whatever-it-now-goes-by, in order to get a 3 for 2 discount. Definitely worth the extortion (though I eventually read the copy on my Kindle instead...)

This book is good in numerous ways, but especially in the amount of research behind it, and its attention to detail. In short terms, it is a historical mystery/thriller set in 1960's Berlin in a universe where the Nazis won WWII and the Third Reich was allowed to grow into fruition. Albert Speer's 'Germania' had been built, and everything was trundling on with benign obliviousness to the horrors of the war crimes committed by the Nazi Government during the war. That is, until Xavier March, divorcée, Kripo officer and suspected defector finds himself dragged into something that he probably oughtn't to be!

The plot (which I won't divulge because we all hate spoilers!) weaves in and out of true events and documents, and is set in the run up to the Fuhrertag, Hitler's 75th birthday.

Overall: For the interesting plot, delightful levels of author research and its sheer readability, it's a great book. (Y)

No comments:

Post a Comment