Pages

Tuesday 5 October 2010

Bookythought II + Confusion.


Whether it was the knowledge that it was written by a student (which gives us all hope!), the Edinburgh -related documentary I watched a few years ago, or my sudden interest in crime novels influenced by Fatherland, I recently found myself reading the first of Ian Rankin's Rebus novels, Knots and Crosses. First off, I was amused by the rivalry between Rebus and Anderson, as it made me think of Anderson from Moffat's Sherlock (whom I believe to be in Conan Doyle's novels, too, though I've not got to him yet!) My limited knowledge of detective-based books has thus far led me to the understanding that it is not a good mystery unless there's an annoying member of the Anderson clan lurking about in the background, making the protagonist's life a little harder.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book - especially the final few chapters when everything tied together in that lovely way a good novel always ought to. While I'd spent the first half, or so, thinking the book to be a bit more shallow than it was, I was delighted when things started to tie together, even if I had had my suspicions who (if not why) the strangler was for a little while.

Anyhow, this led me to thinking about the amusing connections between Sherlock and K&C, including Anderson's excuse of a 'drugs raid' in order to search Sherlock's apartment, which I was reminded of while reading about Jim Stevens' false leads about Rebus. Rebus, not having a 'Watson' of his own (if we ignore Gill) the similarities quickly fail there. Fun to ponder about, but almost definitely the result of teachers reading connections into everything; it's rubbing off on me.

In any case, I am currently in the process of hunting down the second of the series, Hide & Seek - into which, considering the connections made by the first novel (Deacon Brodie), I will happily read Jekyll and Hyde references. "If he be Mr Hyde, I shall be Mr. Seek" &c. I do like things that are based on puns. :D

***

How is it, too, that it's possible to do more work while off sick from college, than while actually there? The amount of time we waste doing very little in the classroom is confusing and concerning - especially with the number of deadlines they expect us to work to.

Back to bed for me now, though,
Tata!

No comments:

Post a Comment